Tuesday 14 February 2012

From Mum to Mumpreneur

I often get asked about how Gemma Jane Designs started, how I juggle being a mum and a business owner and the high and low lights of starting and running your own business. So I thought I would share the whole story with you right from the very start :)

In June 2007 I gave birth to my first daughter Lauren. I thoroughly enjoyed being a first time mum and cherished each and every day that we had together. When Lauren was 3 months old we found out that we were pregnant for a second time and I gave birth to my second daughter Katie in April 2008. I found being a mum the best job in the world and never wanted to spend a day away from them both but as with all families finances were tight and in October 2008 I returned to work,as a qualified Veterinary Nurse, on a part time basis. 
I had always wanted to start my own business and had seriously contemplated the idea. I started to look into small business start up loans and read a lot of articles found on the business link website (http://www.businesslink.gov.uk) which I found very helpful, but the idea of leaving the financial security of my part time job and jumping into the scary world of self employment was just a little too daunting so I 'shelved' the idea, thinking I would do it when it was 'time was right'.
I had a bad few months of ill health and in the end was admitted to hospital with Septicemia (blood poisoning). I was in intensive care and quite seriously ill, but the doctors worked there magic and after some surgery I was on the road to recovery. I was discharged from hospital and told to have 6 weeks complete bed rest to recover. 
I would never say I was glad to have had Septicemia, but it did leave me with a realisation that life is far, far too short for hanging around and 'waiting for the right time'. I had a new determination to succeed and knew I would rather try and fail than always think 'What If!' 
Before being in hospital I had made a few plaques as gifts for family and friends, they were always well received and I started getting more and more requests and people asking where they could order/buy them from. Word of mouth was providing me with enough orders to have a profitable hobby but it was time to take it seriously and look into having my own website.
During my recovery period I set up my bedroom as my mini office. I didn't have much but what I did have was a laptop,the internet and a phone. I started trawling the internet looking for a web design company to create a e-commerce site for me. I soon realised that I did not have the budget to pay someone to design and create a site for me so looked into doing it myself! The only thing I knew about computers was how to create a word document and search for things on the internet so the thought of designing my own site seemed so daunting but I was determined to do it. I found a great web hosting company called 'Create' http://www.doyourownsite.co.uk/ They have a easy to use web designing system,great support and advice (which I needed lots of) and a very reasonable monthly rate. 
I had now found the way to create my site but trying to think of a name for the business had me going around in circles. I really wanted the name to have some personal meaning but be simple and easy to remember. The name Gemma Jane Designs is named after my 2 little girls, Lauren Gemma and Katie Jane - perfect.
I started designing the site and it took me about 4 weeks to achieve one I was happy with but a further 3 months to get it to look how it looks today http://www.gemmajanedesigns.co.uk/ I am so proud of it and love the fact that every aspect of the site is my own design and influence. 
I had a budget of £300 which I purchased a small amount of stock with. My dad cuts all my plaques for me and my husband is quite good with a camera so he took all my images. I really didn't want to get a loan if at all possible and although there are really good companies/grants and banks offering low interest options I wanted to see if I could manage without one. I had everything in place, my recovery had gone well and 7 weeks after coming out of hospital and made the site 'live'.It was so nerve racking, wondering if people would like my items enough to place a order and then there it was, on the first day of going live I had my first order :)
Things have just gone from strength to strength. It has been seriously hard work. I did everything on my own from SEO (search engine optimisation) to tax returns to try and save money so any profits could be used to grow the business.
I can fit my working life around my girls which has given me the best of both worlds. They are the greatest 'little helpers' and love helping Mummy in the office or workshop. They even have there own name badges and use the off cuts of wood to make there own plaques which we post to Grandma :)
 The business is growing at a really good rate. We now employ 4 members of staff - who are just the greatest - and as of January this year have started supplying wholesale into beautiful little gift shops throughout the UK. 
We have big dreams and big aims and are determined to achieve every single one of them. 

My advice to anyone thinking of starting there own business would be 'GO FOR IT' you never know where it may lead :)

I hope you have enjoyed reading this blog and if you would like to know any more information please do contact me at gemmajanedesigns@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for reading

Sarah



No comments:

Post a Comment

Gemma Jane Designs

Gemma Jane Designs
Welcome To Our Blog